Atlanta DUI: I disagree with the police report

Question: I was reading the police report for my DUI and the Atlanta policeman got details wrong. I don't agree with a lot of the report.

The cop said that I had slurred speech, I was argumentative and that I stumbled getting out of my car. I don't think that is true. In the police report he made it seem like I was really drunk. I was not really drunk.

I went to an Atlanta hawks game with some friends and we went out later to a couple of clubs and bars in Buckhead. We did some drinking, but not a huge amount. Certainly not like we used to drink at Georgia Tech or at Georgia Southern after finals.

At the end of the night I was going to drive home to Sandy Springs. But I didn't make it very far. I got stopped on Peachtree Street. The Atlanta police officer said I went through a red light. I may have.

I'm writing because I need a DUI lawyer and because the police report is unfair and not totally true. What should I do about the police report? I really think the cop lied.

J.Y. in Sandy Springs

Answer: There is not much that you can do about the police report. A police officer will not modify or revise the report simply because you request that he or she do so.

Of course, a police officer will slant the report in a way that will make it look like a defendant is guilty of DUI. So it is common that the police officer will state that someone has slurred speech, was uncooperative and swayed or stumbled.

It is very common that a DUI defendant disagrees with the police report. The best way to address the information contained in the report is to get a copy of the Atlanta police officer's video of the incident. If there is a video (and usually there is) and the sound is working properly, that is the best way to rebut the accusations in the report.

About Us

When you or a loved one needs to speak with an Atlanta DUI lawyer, just give us a call at 678-215-4106. We can help.

Let our experience and knowledge of the system help you. Our real life experience includes having served as a Magistrate Judge, an Assistant Attorney General and as an Assistant County Attorney.

So when you need the services of an Atlanta DUI attorney, attorneys William H. Sherman and Valerie W. Sherman should be your first choice!

Related Posts
  • The Importance of Designated Drivers and Ride-Sharing Options: Georgia DUI Lawyer Read More
  • What should I know about a DUI charge in Sandy Springs? Read More
  • Blood Tests in DUI Cases: Georgia DUI Lawyer Read More

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (678) 712-8561.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.