Sandy Springs: When Can You Stop My Wage Garnishment?

Woman and papers

Question: I work at a restaurant in Sandy Springs, Georgia. I was told by the restaurant's owner that he had papers for garnishment for me. He said that soon they will be garnishing my wages. But I can't afford to be garnished. As a server at the bar and restaurant, I get a lot of tips but the wages are important to me because I have some big expenses.

I have to pay rent, a car loan and child support. I need all the money that I make. I got sued by a credit card company because I couldn't make payments when I was in college. Like many other college students and got into debt. But now I've graduated from Georgia State University and things are looking up financially.

My girlfriend had a baby and I really need to pay child support. And I've been helping my mom with some expenses now that her and my dad got divorced. She doesn't work anymore because of an alcohol problem and she's trying to get disability.

When can you stop my wage garnishment? I can't be garnished.

B.A. in Sandy Springs

Answer: The wage garnishment stops when we file bankruptcy and we get a case number. Both the filing of a chapter 7 and a chapter 13 will stop the garnishment.

If you need to file bankruptcy immediately, we can file a "skeleton" for you. A skeleton petition is a "rush" bankruptcy and we have 2 weeks to file all of the necessary paperwork or your petition will be dismissed by the court.

About Us

At some point, just about everyone needs to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer. When you need advice from a Sandy Springs bankruptcy lawyer, call us at (678) 712-8561.

As Sandy Springs bankruptcy attorneys, we're here to help you get a fresh financial start. The Sherman Law Group will help you navigate the system.

We proudly serve the entire Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.

Related Posts
  • Georgia Bankruptcy: Potential Problems in a Hot Housing Market for Chapter 7 Filers Read More
  • Georgia Bankruptcy: FAQ's about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Read More
  • Atlanta Bankruptcy: What Can Filing Bankruptcy Do to Help Me? Read More

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (678) 712-8561.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.