Divorce, Child Support & Cheating

Question: I caught my wife cheating again and I don't think I should pay her child support when we get divorced. I found out that my wife was contacting an old boyfriend on Facebook and I found out that they spent a weekend together in Atlanta.

Now I know that we're going to get divorced and I don't want to pay her child support. I don't think it's fair that I have to pay child support to someone if they have an affair. When I confronted her about her infidelity she admitted that this was not the first time she has seen another man. I think she had sex with her car mechanic.

But she doesn't want to get divorced because she doesn't work and I earn all the household income. She wants to go to marriage counselling and she says I travel too much for business. I told her that I wouldn't pay her child support if we got divorced.

I need to know if she will get child support if we get divorced because she had an affair.

E.B. in Roswell, Georgia

Answer: If she is the custodial parent after the divorce, then you will have to pay child support. It is not relevant that she cheated with another man. Child support is meant for the children so a court will not use it to punish a custodial parent.

If you, however, are the custodial parent, then you would likely not have to pay child support to her.

About Us

Need information and answers from a Roswell divorce lawyer? We're always here to help you. Call us now at (678) 712-8561.

Take advantage of our lengthy and valuable experience as child support attorneys, including serving as a Magistrate Judge, an Assistant Attorney General and as a Senior Assistant County Attorney.

When you need a Roswell child support attorney we will answer any questions you have and help you navigate through the entire child support process. We handle cases throughout the Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.

Related Posts
  • "Why is my husband cheating?": Georgia Divorce Lawyer Read More
  • Sexual Abuse in Marriage: Georgia Divorce Lawyer Read More
  • The effects on children of parental fighting and conflict: Georgia Divorce Lawyer Read More

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (678) 712-8561.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.