Unemployed and Being Sued: What Can I Do to Protect Myself?

Woman with laptop and mails

Question: I'm being sued because I have been unemployed for over one year and I couldn't make my payments on my credit cards, apartment and my car. Because I stopped paying my Visa, MasterCard and American Express bills and I didn't pay my rent for a long time and my car got repossessed, I am being sued in Superior Court. The credit card companies, my landlord and the car finance company are suing me. If I file bankruptcy, can you get these lawsuits dropped?

Answer: Many fellow Georgia residents are being sued because they have not been able to afford payments on credit cards, apartments and cars. As bankruptcy attorneys, we see this every day. And we know how aggressive some bill collectors can be. Some debt collectors use tactics that are unethical, immoral and sometimes even illegal. Many Georgia citizens who are victims of unscrupulous tactics do not understand their rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and other federal and Georgia state laws related to debt collections and credit reporting issues.

The good news is that bankruptcy does eliminate lawsuits. In other words, if you file a bankruptcy, either chapter 7 or chapter 13, it will first "stay" the legal action against you (that is stop it) and then upon a bankruptcy discharge the underlying claim for the amount of money that the lawsuit claims you owe will be discharged (wiped out). In fact, bankruptcy is really the only way to stop a lawsuit from proceeding. A bankruptcy will stop a lawsuit in any court, whether federal, superior or state court.

Please call The Sherman Law Group at (678) 712-8561 so that we can answer any questions you may have about a Georgia bankruptcy.

Related Posts
  • Atlanta Bankruptcy: What Can Filing Bankruptcy Do to Help Me? Read More
  • Georgia Bankruptcy: Can I keep my house? Read More
  • Georgia Bankruptcy: Can my business file bankruptcy? Read More

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (678) 712-8561.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.