Johns Creek Alimony: I Need Alimony, But I Had An Affair

Question: I was reading your blog because I need a divorce lawyer. My husband and I live in Johns Creek. We have lived there since we were married 9 years ago. I work part time at a restaurant and my husband works for a Fortune 500 company in Atlanta. He was working so much that he would barely see me and our children during the week and sometimes he would travel on the weekends for business. And when he was home he would always be drinking wine and Scotch with his friends who would come over and they would play poker. He likes watching sports more than he likes talking to me. He would just sit and watch the Atlanta Braves, Falcons and Hawks all day. He would make comments that were demeaning like when he said he only liked me but he loved Matt Ryan and one time when he was drunk he said that he would trade one of our children for a college football national championship for the University of Georgia. He wasn't like this when we were first married and I think he needs anti-depressants.

In many ways we really weren't married. He wouldn't even take to me my favorite restaurants anymore, place like Pure Taqueria, Pampas Steakhouse and Stoney River and he never bought me jewelry at Mayors Jewelers or Sabri Guven like he used to.

I met a man at a frozen yogurt store and we talked for hours. It really sounded like his wife was just like my husband. She was in sales and was almost never home. Like in my marriage, he said he had not slept with his wife for about two years. We spent some time together and ultimately had an affair.

When I told my husband that I wanted to get a divorce I admitted that I was seeing another man. My husband said that his divorce lawyer told him that because I had sex with another man I can't get alimony in Georgia. Is this true? I really will need alimony because I have not worked in many years and in college I got a felony and so I can't get a good job.

Answer: Your husband's statement is correct. A party may forfeit alimony if he or she commits adultery. Although you admitted to having an affair over a period of time, even one instance of adultery can disqualify a party from receiving alimony. You need to speak with a good Johns Creek divorce lawyer who can review the facts and circumstances of your case and determine the best way for you to proceed. The divorce does not have to be contested; it can be an uncontested divorce when the parties decide the relevant issues between themselves without the need for a judge to make those decisions.

About Us

If you need a Johns Creek divorce lawyer or a divorce or family law attorney serving the Atlanta metro area and North Georgia, we are highly-regarded family law and divorce attorneys. If you have a question regarding family law or divorce law, just email us or call us at (678) 712-8561. We are here when you need us.

Related Posts
  • Alpharetta Divorce Lawyer: 10 Things to Know About Alimony Read More
  • Alimony Lawyers in Roswell & Cumming Read More
  • My Ex-girlfriend Wants Me to Pay Her Alimony Read More

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (678) 712-8561.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.