Divorce & Mental Illness

Question:  My husband has threatened me.  He said that if I try to contest a divorce from him I won't be able to see my kids again because I have a mental illness.  He said that a judge will not let me see the kids because if you have a mental illness then you might hurt them.

I have tried to be a good mother and I'm never violent.  But I do battle depression and I take anti-depressant medication.  I have spent some time at Peachford and Ridgeview for my issues.

My husband said he found another girl and he wants to divorce me.  He said that if I just go along with it he'll send me some money for the kids and possibly buy me a house to live in.   

I don't work and he's a doctor with an office in Sandy Springs and in Buckhead.  I'm very worried that if I try to ask for alimony or child support he'll just take the children because of my illness.  I haven't worked in over 10 years although I have a Ph.D. 

Can he just take the kids because of my mental issues?

J.R. in Sandy Springs, Georgia

Answer:  Many millions of Americans suffer from mental illness.  Just because someone is suffering from a mental illness does not mean that they cannot see their children or even have full custody of the kids.  And you should certainly seek child support from him. 

The fact that you are taking prescription medication and that you are not violent will certainly help your case.  In fact, you should be commended for seeking treatment at Peachford Hospital and Ridgeview Institute.

We have handled many cases for child custodyalimony and child support for people who are battling mental illness.  In no way does having a mental issue mean that you are not a good parent or that you should be denied custody of your children.

About Us

When you need a Sandy Springs divorce lawyer, we're here to help.  If you have a question about a quitclaim deed, call us now at (678) 712-8561

Take advantage of our lengthy and valuable experience, including serving as a Magistrate Judge, an Assistant Attorney General and as a Senior Assistant County Attorney. 

When you need a family lawyer, we will answer any questions you have and help you navigate through the entire process.  We handle matters throughout the Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.

Related Posts
  • How to Value a Car Collection During a Divorce: A Guide for Georgia Residents Read More
  • Winning Strategies for Defending a Family Violence Charge: Georgia Criminal Lawyer Read More
  • Why Does My Husband Insult and Criticize Our Daughter?: Georgia Family Law Attorney Read More

Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (678) 712-8561.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.