Free Consultations 678.712.8561
Benefit from the Experience of Attorneys Bill and Valerie Sherman Former Assistant Attorney General, Assistant County Attorneys and Magistrate Judge

I Lost My License: Can I Drive Something Besides a Car?

Question: I lost my Georgia driver’s license because I got too many DUI’s. Can I get a moped to drive places?

Answer: We often get questions as to modes of transportation if someone has had their Georgia driver’s license suspended, cancelled or revoked. That can be as a result of convictions for DUI or it can be for accumulating too many points.

The entity responsible for administering Georgia driver’s licenses is the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS). People get around in all sorts of ways. Some people use MARTA or buses, some take taxis, and many get rides from spouses, friends or work colleagues. Some ride bicycles (including AMERICAN BICYCLE (LITGHTSPEED/ETC), BIANCHI, CANNONDALE, FELT, FUJI, GIANT, MOTOBECANE, RALEIGH, SPECIALIZED, TREK (TREK/ETC)).

But, to answer your question directly, you should be able to utilize a moped. In Georgia, mopeds are exempt from the provisions relating to the registration and licensing of motor vehicles. Other states, however, have different laws. Mopeds can be a good, reliable and relatively inexpensive means of transportation and the gas mileage is exceptional, at least compared to cars and trucks. Some prominent moped manufacturers are or were Piaggio, Aprilia, Derbi, Gilera, Puch and Vespa, Honda, Yamaha, Mongoose, Kymco, Genuine Scooter, Suzuki & SYM Sanyang Industry.

Please call us directly at 678-215-4106 to discuss the specifics of your situation and how we can help you.